Chapter 30: Development
30.010 Overview of Development
Bd. Min. 8-22-68; Bd. Min. 4-19-69, Amended Bd. Min. 12-15-94, Amended 8-31-95; Amended 9-24-10; Amended 6-17-16.
- Statement of Purpose -- The purpose of all advancement programs sponsored or affiliated with the University of Missouri shall be:
- To involve citizens of the state, alumni, and friends nationally in University-related efforts.
- To serve citizens of the state, alumni, and friends nationally through organized personal and other communications.
- To assist the University in obtaining the public funds necessary to provide the highest quality academic, research and service opportunities for the citizens of the state and nation.
- To assist the University in obtaining private funds, to complement and augment public resources for those academic, research and service opportunities which cannot be provided by public funds.
- General Information
- University Advancement encompasses all programs concerned with institutional support. It involves organized groups of the University's various publics in support of specific programs.
- University Advancement describes those administrative service programs relating to the involvement of volunteers with the University of Missouri. It generally consists of (1) advancement communications, (2) friend raising (alumni relations and other individuals), and (3) development. University Advancement organizes and mobilizes persons who have a direct interest in the University.
- Advancement programs emanate from the Office of the President so University policies and procedures can be fully implemented. Each campus program will be directed so that maximum understanding, acceptance, and fulfillment of total institutional needs, as well as campus objectives, are achieved.
- UM Council for Institutional Relations -- There shall be an advancement council consisting of the chief advancement officer of each campus and University Outreach as well as other members appointed by the President.
- Staff personnel assigned to any subdivision of the University for alumni or constituent relations work, special events, communications or fund raising activities shall be under the management and direction of the campus chief advancement officer, unless otherwise determined by the chancellor.
- Scope of Operations -- Programs under the purview of University Advancement primarily use motivated volunteers.
- Advancement Communications -- A variety of written, electronic and other media will be used to communicate with specific audiences to achieve coordinated, planned goals for advancing the University of Missouri.
- Friend Raising
- Alumni Relations
- Alumni Programs -- Alumni programs form the basis for many activities of institutional support. They should be driven by the unique qualities of each campus to take advantage of campus strengths in meeting University objectives.
- Alumni Associations -- All divisions of each campus are encouraged to maintain alumni organizations specializing in their particular field or area. These divisional alumni organizations shall be chartered by and associated with the campus alumni association.
- Intercampus Alumni and Extension Leadership Council -- A council of alumni and Extension leaders, representing the four University of Missouri campus alumni associations and Extension State Council, shall have the following purposes:
- To serve as a liaison committee between the University of Missouri System President (and administration) and the four campus alumni associations and Extension;
- To promote systemwide engagement with alumni/Extension through association-driven efforts; and
- To foster collaboration among the alumni associations and Extension.
- Other Individuals -- The University conducts many educational and service programs involving other than full- and part-time students; it is an integral part of the economic, social and cultural life of all Missourians. For this reason, groups of persons who are not alumni should be involved in University advancement. These citizens are interested and can be mobilized and utilized to assist the total advancement program.
- Alumni Relations
- All gifts, both individual and corporate, are accepted and managed within the policies of the Board of Curators with complete assurance that requests and wishes of donors are fulfilled.
- All development programs will be based on the right of an individual to allocate his or her gift for use to any department, division, or campus within the University. Strong, sustaining programs in annual, corporate, planned and special gifts shall be operated under this fundamental principle. Unrestricted gifts shall be managed in the best interests of the University by the President of the University, or his or her designee, under authority granted by the Board of Curators. The University reserves the right to reject any proposed gift.
Next Rule: 30.020 Advancement Communications