All UM faculty, staff and students have access to Google Apps for Higher Education (G Suite). Click here to see the entire list of apps available. G Suite is offered in addition to Microsoft 365 for Education, allowing you to choose the tool that works best for you.
Google sets storage limits for each academic institution to 100 TB and charges universities and colleges that exceed this limit, including the University of Missouri - System. Therefore we have set limits, or quotas, on each individual’s Google Drive file storage. You can view your storage limit and storage used under the Storage section in Google Drive.
What you need to know:
- Default limit Google Drive storage for individual accounts is 5GB.*
* Individuals with storage above 5GB as of November 2022 have been given higher storage limits based on their usage. Those individuals should follow the maintenance guidelines listed below to reduce below 5GB as soon as possible.
- Shared Google Drives (or departmental drives) do not currently have a quota; however they may in the future.
- Microsoft Teams allows 25 TB (25,000 GB) and Microsoft OneDrive gives you 5 TB (5,000 GB).
- Microsoft OneDrive meets higher security standards for keeping your data safe.
How to maintain your Google Drive account:
- Reduce your Google storage by moving any files that do not HAVE to be stored in Google Drive to a Microsoft Teams drive that allows 25 TB of space or Microsoft OneDrive where you have 5 TB.
- Delete files from Google Drive once they have been transferred or are no longer needed.
- Information on using Microsoft OneDrive to store non-shared data can be found at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/onedrive-video-training-1f608184-b7e6-43ca-8753-2ff679203132
- Information on using Microsoft Teams to store shared data can be found at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/microsoft-teams-video-training-4f108e54-240b-4351-8084-b1089f0d21d7?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us