- Phone: (573) 489-7837
- E-mail: email@example.com
What: The UM System Broadband Leadership Team, consisting of researchers and community stakeholders, will host a live public webinar introducing an actionable plan to bring affordable and accessible broadband internet to Bollinger County, Missouri. Applied to a county in which four out of five residents have no broadband access, the plan will serve as a model for a broader effort to make high speed internet more available to people in rural areas of the state.
Entitled “Bringing Broadband to a Missouri Community,” the webinar will also share information about the Missouri Broadband Resource Rail, a free, web-based resource that will assist in the expansion of broadband across a variety of industries and government services.
When: 10:00 – 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, July 8
Where: The webinar will be livestreamed at https://extension2.missouri.edu/public-livestreams.
Who: Researchers and representatives from each of the four UM System universities will participate in the webinar. These include:
- Marshall Stewart, UM System Chief Engagement Officer/VC for MU Extension and Engagement
- Marc McCarty, UMKC Professor of Law and UM System Broadband Leadership Committee Chair
- Tony Luppino, UMKC Professor of Law and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member; Sarah Denkler, MU Extension Regional Director – Southeast MO
- Lav Gupta, UMSL Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member;
- Kent Shannon, MU Extension Agriculture Field Specialist and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member
- Brian Boots, UMKC Regnier Institute, Director for Venture Creation
- Casey Canfield, Missouri S&T Professor of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member
- Wayne Prewitt, MU Extension Regional Director – South Central MO
- Ellen Belcer, Bollinger County representative
- Rob Williams, Program Director, UMKC SourceLink
- Sam Tennant, Program Coordinator, MU Extension CARES and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member
- Alison Copeland, UM System Deputy Chief Engagement Officer and UM System Broadband Leadership Team member, session moderator
Note: Bollinger County is located in southeastern Missouri, adjacent to Cape Girardeau County. It was the site of the first discovery of remains of a duck-billed dinosaur known as Hypsibema missouriensis, Missouri’s state dinosaur. The county is also home to Blue Pond, the deepest natural pond in the state.