Skip to main content

Automobile Insurance FAQs

Is my department vehicle or trailer insured?

Each campus has a designated individual to complete the titling and licensing process and to assist you with answering this question. These folks will schedule your vehicle with Risk & Insurance Management so your vehicle is covered in case of an accident. Please refer to the Vehicle Insurance Coverage Enrollment Form UM 6 for required information.

Licensed or unlicensed? Licensed Vehicles include all vehicles that are licensed for city streets and highway driving that are owned, rented or leased by the University for official business purposes. An unlicensed vehicle is not designed for highway use and generally used on university grounds. Examples of these vehicles are golf carts, tractors, four wheelers, "Gators," also known as all-terrain vehicles, etc. used for landscaping or maintenance.

Licensed vehicles are covered by the university's self-funded Auto Liability program. The liability program covers, less the deductible, costs for bodily injury or physical damage caused to someone else's vehicle or property. This does not include costs to repair physical damage to your vehicle. If a trailer is attached and or being pulled by a vehicle any liability damage follows the vehicle. General Liability coverage would apply to damage caused by an unattached trailer.

Physical damage, better known as Comp/Collision coverage, is an optional coverage. This program provides coverage for damage resulting from comprehensive (fire, wind, theft, etc.) and collision exposures on vehicles owned or leased by the university. Annual premium assessments are based on a sliding scale using vehicle year and/or purchase price.

Deductibles are:

$250 per occurrence for comprehensive losses

$500 per occurrence for collision losses. Motorized vehicles, such as golf carts, tractors, four wheelers, gators, etc not licensed for are considered "property" and are covered under the university self-funded Property Program subject to a $1000 deductible.

Do not delay scheduling licensed vehicles; be sure to send the information to your coordinator as quickly as possible to make sure you're covered! Buckle up and drive safely!

What do I do after an accident?

If you drive a university vehicle, download your own innovative wallet guide to print and take with you (print with the double sided option). In the stress after an accident, its good know exactly what to do!

All university vehicles are covered under the name "The Curators of the University of Missouri" as self-funded for automobile liability coverage. The self-funded Automobile Liability program provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage liability arising out of the operation or use of university-owned or operated vehicles. 

Any employee involved in an auto accident should contact their campus representative for assistance in filing a claim.

As soon as possible, complete the Vehicle Accident Report, UM-5, available on our Web site at Any letters, bills, suit papers, etc. should be forwarded promptly to your campus auto claims coordinator.

Does the university provide any insurance when I use my personal car on University business?

There are two types of insurance that may apply in the event you are involved in an accident using your personal vehicle on university business:

  • Liability: The University provides only excess liability coverage on personal vehicles used on University business. In the event you are considered liable for such an accident, your personal automobile insurance would pay first; the university's coverage would become involved only when your policy limits are exhausted.
  • Workers' Compensation: Any medical costs or lost time you might incur while on business would be subject to recovery provided through the State of Missouri's workers' compensation program.
Will the University provide physical damage insurance if my personal vehicle is damaged while being used for university business?

No, you are responsible for insuring your personal vehicle. The university's mileage reimbursement rate factors in insurance premiums and deductibles as part of the cost of operating a vehicle.

If I rent a car while traveling on university business, what insurance options should I take?

We recommend that you always use your university-sponsored Corporate Card when renting a car as it provides physical damage coverage at no cost to the university.

When renting a vehicle in the United States or Canada, you should decline all options as you are covered by the university for accidents while on university business. You would be responsible for damage occurring while using the vehicle for personal pleasure or business; however, you would normally be covered by your personal automobile insurance. You should check with your insurance agent should you have any questions.

When renting a vehicle in any country other than the United States or Canada, we recommend that you purchase the insurance options.

  • The following kinds of vehicles rented for use regardless of the method of payment used:
    • Passenger vans with seating capacities greater than 8
    • Trucks or other similar vehicles rented for the primary purpose of transporting any type of cargo or property
    • Sports or utility vehicles to be used off of maintained roads
  • Rentals of vehicles for use within the United States and Canada by authorized foreign national guest of the University

Reviewed 2016-09-19

Search RIM: