Skip to main content

Workers' Compensation


Workers' Compensation is a state-mandated, "no-fault" insurance system that pays benefits to workers injured on the job to cover medical care, part of lost wages and permanent disability. All employees, including student employees, part-time employees and some volunteers are covered by Workers' Compensation.

Medical Treatment

State Law allows the employer to choose which medical providers will be used to treat their injured employees.  If you need to see a doctor for treatment as the result of an injury on the job, you should tell your supervisor you want to see a doctor. If your supervisor knows that you need treatment because of a compensable accident, your supervisor should tell you where to get medical care. If your supervisor does not refer you to any particular medical facility or doctor, contact your Workers Compensation Coordinator. Since your employer has the right to select the treating doctor, your employer may not have to pay for your bills if you choose to go to our own doctor rather than to your employer’s authorized treating doctor.

The following are authorized medical providers for injured employees by campus. If you are an extension employee and/or traveling for the University, refer to the list of authorized provider near you or contact your Workers Compensation Coordinator. If the injury is life threatening, seek the nearest emergent medical facility for care. 

Lost Wages

A three (3)-day waiting period is prescribed by law; no compensation is payable for the waiting period unless the disability lasts longer than 14 calendar days, in which case payment for the three (3)-day waiting period is allowed. The first day of the three (3)-day waiting period is the next calendar day following the on-the-job injury or illness that the injured employee is unable to work as determined by the authorized physician.

Permanent Partial Disability

If the injury results in a permanent disability, determined by the State Division of Workers' Compensation, the employee may receive a settlement based on the percent of disability. After the settlement is reached, benefits for medical, lost wages, etc., are no longer payable.

Before a settlement is reached the employee will be notified to appear before an Administrative Law Judge at a mediation conference. The employee will be apprised of his/her rights under the law and the judge will approve the settlement. Note: The employee is allowed time away from work without loss of pay to attend both doctor appointment(s) and the mediation conference(s).

Death Benefit

In the event an injury results in the death of the employee, Workers' Compensation will pay up to $5,000 toward burial expenses and the surviving spouse and/or dependents will receive a weekly benefit that is determined by the employee's salary at the time of the accident.

If you have question, need clarification on policies or just want general information pertaining to Workers' Compensation, please contact your Workers' Compensation Coordinator.

Reporting Claims

Reporting a claim: In order to receive care under Workers' Compensation, an employee must report the injury to their department immediately after it occurs. The department must report all injuries to the Workers' Compensation Coordinator on a Report of Injury Form within 24 hours of the injury. The Report of Injury Form may then be mailed, faxed, telephoned or e-mailed to the appropriate Workers' Compensation Coordinator. Missouri S&T and UM St. Louis employees will also need to fill out a physician referral form and take it with you to the appointment.

The Report of Injury is processed by the Coordinator then forwarded to the claims administrator, Brentwood Services Administrators, who will determine compensability and manage the claim.

Brentwood Services Administrators Inc.
PO Box 4605
Chesterfield MO 63006-4605
Phone 800-524-0604 or 615-263-1300
Fax 615-724-9446

Post Offer Employment Testing (POET)

Post Offer Pre-employment Testing (POET) is a program focused on safety in which final candidates for certain administrative, service, and support positions are required to pass a post offer pre-employment physical examination before confirming the employment relationship. Current employees who remain in those positions will not be required to take the examination. If, however, a current employee transfers to a different position with higher physical demands within the included positions, he/she will be required to pass the examination.

The following positions were identified for inclusion in the program.

  • Custodian and Floor Care Worker Titles
  • Food Service and Cook Titles
  • Electrician titles
  • Groundskeepers
  • Transporters

Reviewed 2022-03-30

Search RIM: