Go to navigation Go to content

Miscellaneous Insurance Coverages

Aircraft Non-Owned

If you pilot a personal or a rented aircraft, you should be aware of the University's policy for using this mode of transportation when conducting University business. The employee piloting an aircraft — while permitted with authorization — is not a recommended mode of travel.
However, if you find it necessary to travel by private airplane, here's what you need to do:

  • Get approval. You must have approval from your dean/vice provost or director.
  • File a Certificate of Liability Insurance. At least 10 business days before taking off, you MUST file with the UM Office of Risk & Insurance Management a certificate of aviation liability insurance showing the Curators of the University of Missouri as an additional insured with minimum limits of $2,000,000 per person, per occurrence and property damage.
  • Get insurance. Because the university will not be responsible for damage to the aircraft, it is recommended that you arrange for physical damage (hull coverage) insurance in all cases.

The Business Policy Manual addresses this mode of transportation in Section 504. For questions regarding this policy, please contact Risk & Insurance Management.

Athletic Accident Insurance

This coverage provides for medical and dental payments for injuries that may be incurred by intercollegiate varsity athletes while practicing for or participating in an intercollegiate event. Coverage includes travel to and from the event. Covered events include authorized and supervised practice sessions as well as the actual intercollegiate events.

  • Deductibles: Deductibles vary by campus.
  • Reporting Claims: All claims should be reported to the following:
    NAHGA Claim Services
    P.O. Box 189
    Bridgton, Maine 04009-0189
    Toll-free: 800-952-4320
    Fax: 207-647-4569
Camps and Clinics Accidents

This is an accident-only excess policy over any other available coverage. However, the first $200 of medical/dental benefits will be paid by this policy without contribution from other available insurance coverages. This coverage provides medical payments for participants in events sponsored by the University that are registered with the insurer when the event of injury or sickness occurs during the course of the camp or clinic (download the Camps and Clinics Insurance Attendance Report).

Policy Limits:

  • Accidental Death & Dismemberment: $5,000. A $10,000 benefit applies for loss of both hands, feet or sight of both eyes.
  • Dental: 100% of reasonable expenses up to $1000 (Benefits paid on Injury to sound natural teeth only).
  • Injury: $5000
  • Sickness: $750

Policy procedures:

  1. Use Participant Attendance Report if your camp has a different number of participants on different days, list the dates and participants on separate lines.
  2. There is a $40 minimum per camp 4 days or longer. No minimum on camps less than 4 days long.
  3. Complete the sponsoring Department information.
  4. At least 10 days before camp begins submit a copy of the report to Risk & Insurance Management at risk@umsystem.edu and save a copy.
  5. After camp ends, complete the saved copy with the “actual number of participants” and send the revised copy to Risk & Insurance Management at risk@umsystem.edu.
  6. Total Premium charge will be computed and a Journal Entry (JE) will charge the account you indicate.
  7. Premium is the product of multiplying number of days, actual number of participants, and rate per participant (athletic or student).


Reporting Claims:


Please request claim forms from Risk & Insurance Management - risk@umsystem.edu.

Child Day Care Center Accidental Medical

Provides primary accident medical coverage for children in participating University of Missouri child day care centers. The accidental death and dismemberment benefit is $25,000, and the accident medical limit is $30,000.

Club Sports

The plans cover injuries that occur during play or practice of a Club Sports game, contest or match. Participants are covered while traveling as defined in the applicable Basic and/or Catastrophic policy.

  • Basic Accident Medical Insurance Plan Highlights
    • A Medical/Dental benefit of $30,000 per person per covered accidental injury. Benefits are payable for covered expenses which exceed the deductible and/or for expenses not recoverable from any other insurance policy, service contractor worker's compensation coverage. Benefits are payable for expenses incurred within TWO years from the date of injury.
  • Catastrophic Injury Insurance Plan Highlights

    • Lifetime Medical, Dental and Rehabilitation Benefits with a MAXIMUM of $5,000,000. Monthly Benefits payable if Totally or Partially Disabled. A Covered Accident Deductible (as selected by school), for medical, dental or rehabilitation expenses which must be incurred within TWO years from the date of injury. $10,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit. Benefits are payable for covered expenses which exceed the deductible and/or for expenses not recoverable from any other valid and collectible insurance or similar benefit program. Additional Benefits for Total Disability.
Fidelity/Crime Insurance

This coverage provides primary coverage for loss of University money and securities including: public employee dishonesty; forgery or alteration; theft, disappearance and destruction; robbery and safe burglary; computer fraud; money order & counterfeit paper currency and credit card forgery.

  • Deductibles: $50,000 deductible; $100 deductible for money order and credit card forgery.
  • Reporting Claims: Claims are to be made by completing the Disappearance of Assets and Money, Form UM-155. These reports must be typed and submitted to the appropriate campus contact within 48 hours after notice of the incident.
Notary Bonds

There is a National Association of Notaries that offers a bonding program. For details, call 800-US NOTARY. The employee pays the premium and gets reimbursed by his or her department. Employees should not purchase the professional liability coverage.

Student Health Insurance Plan

The UM System believes it is important that students have insurance while they pursue their studies in the event of an unexpected illness or injury.

Through a competitive bid process, the university is able to offer a program that adequately covers its students and meets the following goals:

  • Provides reasonable financial security for students in case of serious illness or accident;
  • Offers good benefits at a competitive cost;
  • Complies with the US Federal law – Affordable Care Act (i.e., no maximums on essential health benefits, no cost share for preventive care, removal of pre-existing limitations); 
  • Meets J-1 visa requirements; and
  • Includes medical evacuation, repatriation, etc. – not a standard offering in health insurance plans.

While there are lower cost options and short-term plans available in the marketplace, many of them do not meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act and have several limitations (i.e., will not cover pre-existing limitations, do not have unlimited maximums and have several exclusions). 

Health care in the US is very different than health care in other countries. Many countries have a universal health program in place and the cost of care is much less than in the US.   Similar to other universities, enrollment in the plan is required for international students (unless the student is eligible for a waiver).

The UM System’s student insurance program is reviewed each year to make sure it offers the best program for its needs at a competitive price. Research shows that when comparing the UM System’s plan to other universities in the Urban 13 and SEC, the benefits are competitive while the premium is lower than most.  In addition, the university periodically markets the plan to make sure we keep the plan competitive

The university provides access to an individual student insurance plan. The program is available to any registered student of the University and offers spouse and dependent coverage for additional premiums. You can obtain further information by visiting www.aetnastudenthealth.com and entering Missouri in the school name search to get the plan details for your campus.

  • Reporting Claims: Claims should be filed with Aetna Student Health. Please refer to the Web site or call customer service at 877-375-7905.

International Travel

We have secured services for authorized international business travel. There is no cost for these faculty/staff international business travel resources. Please use this VISA LETTER as proof of coverage for visa applications that require proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage. The U.S. Department of State has a site with country specific information including if a visa is needed for your destination. 

The services are provided by UnitedHealthcare Global (UHC Global) and AIG WorldSource and include the following:

  • UHC Global provides 24-hour travel, medical and security-related assistance services to you while traveling.
    • Please download your identification card to take with you during travel.
    • Creating a Global Intelligence Center account
    • The UHC Global Emergency Response Center allows you to have complete management of your program, including printing UHC Global ID cards, opening a case online, and reading the details of your UHC Global program coverage. In addition to UHC Global program information, the Global Emergency Response Center gives you access to:

      • Medical Intelligence reports: complete international health information
      • Travel Registry: travel and medical record storage
      • World Watch: detailed international security information.
    • Coverage Territory

      • More than 100 miles away from your permanent residence in your home country or Expatriates without regard to the distance from your Expatriate residence.

Travel Advisories are LIVE!

The Department of State has launched new Travel Advisories and Alerts to make it easier for U.S. citizens to access clear, timely, and reliable safety and security information about every country in the world. 

For more details and FAQs, please visit travel.state.gov/travelsafely.

Venue/Special Event Coverage

Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at University of Missouri facilities provided they:

  • Follow the campus protocol for reserving/space use – Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
  • Provide the evidence of insurance (Certificate of Insurance) for the event, minimum General Liability of $1,000,000, other coverages may be required such as liquor liability (see notes below) to the venue manager along with the event name, date and facility to be used.

Prior to the event you must deliver a Certificate of Insurance to the facility/representative in charge of the space. The Certificate should be accompanied by a note listing the name of the event, the date of the event, and the location of the event (since some departments control multiple venues).

If you already have insurance coverage, please have your insurance company send the facility in charge of the space a Certificate of Insurance with the following specifications:

  • You or your company (the facility renter) must be listed as the Insured
  • The Curators of the University of Missouri must be listed as an Additional Insured
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the Certificate
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the entire length of your event
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000; higher limits may be required depending upon the activity.
  • The Certificate of Insurance must provide 30 days’ advance written notice for any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.

Reporting claims: If a participant from an event wants to file a claim they should contact the Renter/event organizer to file a claim with their carrier. The Campus should complete the University incident form and file as normal. The Campus incident form should be submitted with a copy of the insurance certificate through normal channels.

If you DO NOT have insurance coverage of your own, you may obtain coverage by contacting your agent/broker or companies such as HUB International  to obtain an application and coverage quote.

Organizations/groups needing coverage for an off-campus event may also contacttheir agent/broker or companies such as HUB International for an insurance quote for the event. 

To obtain a quote from HUB International:

Submit the application via email or fax directly to HUB International. A quote will then be sent to you, usually within 72 hours of application receipt.

Submission of this application does not guarantee coverage. Completion of these forms confirms your desire to obtain insurance coverage through the Special Event Liability Group Insurance Trust. Coverage will be bound for your requested dates upon receipt and approval of your completed application and payment of premium.

Insurance coverage can only be bound by the Administrator of the Purchasing Group, after review and approval.

After review and approval of your completed application, you will receive a quotation by email, fax or mail (please indicate preference on application). If you accept HUB’s quotation, please make arrangements for your payment to reach their office PRIOR TO THE EVENT DATE. HUB accepts credit cards, cashier's checks and money orders; no personal checks. PLEASE CALL HUB TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD. Upon receipt of your payment, a Certificate of Insurance will be emailed, faxed, or sent to you by mail.

Note: HUB is unable to offer a quote or indication over the phone. Eligibility and premium cannot be determined without the details outlined in the application.

HUB International
2300 Clayton Road, Suite 300
Concord, CA 94520
Phone: 925-609-6500
Fax: 925-609-6550
Email: specialevent@hubinternational.com

HUB Coverage Overview

HUB Claim Instructions

If an event participant wants to make a claim from an event covered through the Special Event Liability Group Insurance Trust, refer them to the event organizer to file the claim.

Campus incident form should be submitted and the Renter completes the HUB claim form:

A completed “Report of Injury or Loss” notice. Please obtain information contained in the attached form and mail or fax to HUB International, 2300 Clayton Road, Suite 300 Concord, CA 94520; FAX: 925-609-6550 within 24 hours or immediately if serious injury or death has resulted. If information is not complete, DO NOT DELAY. Many details can be obtained later.

  • A copy of the certificate of insurance issued to the event holder covering the event.
  • A copy of any incident, accident, or loss report taken at the time of the incident.
  • DO NOT admit liability to anyone.
  • DO NOT offer your opinion to anyone. 
  • Claim Report Form (DOC )  

Reviewed 2018-10-29.

Search RIM: