Student employees hired to work for the University should be pursuing an academic program at the University, hired into a student title, and not be scheduled to work more than an average of 28 hours per week across all concurrent university jobs during any measurement period.1
Per Collected Rules and Regulations (CRR), Section 320.050: Employee Status (Amended Bd. Min 10-01-19):
CRR paragraph D:
Student Employees: A University employee that is enrolled as a student at the University of Missouri and whose primary association with the University is related to the pursuit of an academic program. Because academic pursuit is the primary purpose of the student role, Student Employees should not be scheduled to work more than an average of 28 hours per week across all concurrent University jobs during the measurement period  and should be in a student title as described in HR-204 Student Position Titles.
 Measurement and Stability Periods are designated by the University in accordance with Section 4980H of the Internal Revenue Code and the regulations thereunder.
Further HR Policy Provisions
Additional HR-204 policy provisions below in accordance with CRR 320.050:
- Criteria for Use of Student Titles
- The individual must be a University of Missouri student.
- Enrollment during summer is not required as long as the student was enrolled during the spring semester or is admitted or enrolled for the fall semester.
- The individual's employment is not required to be in their field of study as an undergraduate but may be required for graduate assistantship appointments.
- Campuses may develop an expansion of these guidelines to further limit number of hours worked, establish number of hours enrolled, requirements to hold graduate appointments, level of compensation, etc.
- University student titles
Student Titles - Graduate Graduate Assistant 4710 Graduate Fellow 4680 Graduate Instructor 4685 Graduate Library Assistant 4690 Graduate Research Assistant 4715 Graduate Teaching Assistant 4717 Student Titles - All Students Peer Learning Assistant 6669 Student Assistant Clerical 4022 Student Assistant Crafts and Services 4023 Student Assistant Paraprofessional 4024 Student Assistant Research 4025 Student Assistant Teaching 4026 Student Assistant Technical 4027 Student Assistant Information Technology 4029 Healthcare Student Assistant 6941
Date Created: 09/26/1997
Updated: 09/01/2000; 11/01/2001; 03/03/2004; 09/15/2013; 12/01/2015; 10/29/2020