Retirement planning checklist
The steps on this webpage are meant to provide an overview of the retirement process based on how close you are to retirement. These steps are not all-inclusive nor are they detailed enough to cover all of your individual considerations. Questions should be directed to the HR Service Center at (573) 882-2146, (800) 488-5288 (toll free), or HRServiceCenter@umsystem.edu.
- Calculate an estimate of retirement pension benefits.
- Review projections of your other retirement income – This may include your tax-deferred investments with a UM System voluntary retirement plan and/or your Social Security benefits. Projections of these sources of retirement income may be manually entered into the pension benefits calculator.
- Sign up for a retirement seminar series to learn more.
- Calculate an estimate of retirement pension benefits – Even if you’ve run the calculation before, it can be instructive to get an estimate that uses the most up-to-date figures.
- Consider your medical insurance enrollments and how they affect your retirement options:
- Learn about the retiree insurance structure and upcoming changes effective January 1, 2018.
- Any election changes must be made during the annual enrollment period while you are still an active employee. Annual enrollment occurs once per year in a two-week period during the fall.
- Watch the corresponding on-demand online seminars for additional details.
- Understand your Social Security and Medicare benefits:
Reviewed February 06, 2017.