Researching insurance options before you enroll
The university provides a number of benefits to eligible faculty and staff to help take care of what matters most. The way you enroll in these benefits differs a little bit depending on your enrollment status:
1. Which best fits you?
- Check out the 2017 Total Rewards Guide to learn about your plan options.
- If you're choosing insurance plans for the remainder of 2016, as well as 2017, make sure to review the 2016 guide, premiums, and comparison chart.
- Or visit each plan's webpage for details:
- Looking for ways to compare medical plan options or learn about network providers? Visit the UnitedHealthcare cost comparison website.
- Looking for details about your current medical insurance? Get personalized medical plan information via UnitedHealthcare's myuhc.com.
- Visit our plan contacts webage for a directory of who to reach out to for your other plan choices.
You may find these videos useful as you research your insurance options.
Choosing a provider is important. Visit our plan contacts webpage for links to all provider directories; please note that 2016 information is posted at this time.
Before going through the enrollment process, make sure you know how you want to answer the following questions:
- Which plan(s) do you wish to enroll in?
- How many individuals do you want to cover? (Coverage levels like "self only," "self and spouse," etc.) For every dependent you are adding to a plan, you will need their full name, birthdate, and Social Security number.
- For any dependents who are already covered by your plan(s), make sure they are eligible to be covered. For example, most children can be covered only until they reach age 26. To confirm your dependents are eligible, consult the applicable summary plan description(s) (SPD). Eligibility criteria are not changing for 2017, so if the 2017 SPD is not posted yet, then you may refer to the 2016 SPD.
- Where possible, do you want to enroll on a pre-tax or after-tax basis? If you're not sure which is best for you, watch the pre-tax vs. after-tax premiums
- Are you eligible for the tobacco-free discount on medical insurance? Visit the tobacco-free discount page for more details.
- Select and submit your plan choices in the university's employee portal, myHR. You may make changes to your insurance elections only if you are newly eligible for benefits (e.g., newly hired to a benefit-eligible job) or have experienced a qualified family/employment status change.
Reviewed November 01, 2016.