Skip to main content

Benefit coverage for sponsored adult dependents

A sponsored adult dependent is an unmarried partner who is eligible for certain university benefits. Once a sponsored adult dependent is on file with the university, they are included in benefit eligibility under the definition and rates for "spouse."


Employees are able to provide coverage for an eligible sponsored adult dependent for the following benefits:

Sponsored adult dependents are also eligible to utilize the following programs:

Sponsored adult dependents are also included in qualifications for employees to utilize leave under:


To be eligible for university coverage, sponsored adult dependents must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have a single dedicated relationship of at least a 12 month duration with the employee
  • Have shared the same principal residence for at least 12 months and continue to share the same principal a residence disregarding temporary absences due to special circumstances including sickness, education, business, vacation and military service
  • Not be married to another person under either statutory or common law
  • Not be related by blood or degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage in the law of the state in which the to the employee or retired employee resides
  • Be mentally competent to consent to contract 

Children of sponsored adult dependents are not eligible for benefits.

Retirees may cover a sponsored adult dependent as long as the sponsored adult dependent was covered on their plan immediately prior to retirement. University of Missouri health plans (medical, dental and vision), Dependent Life-Spouse and Accidental Death and Disability Plans do not allow retirees to add dependents to their coverage after their date of retirement.

How to enroll

  1. Employees must complete and submit an Affirmation of Sponsored Adult Dependent Partnership form (PDF).
  2. To add a Sponsored Adult Dependent to your coverage, you must do so during Annual Enrollment for coverage to be effective on January 1 following the annual enrollment period. 

Change/Remove Sponsored Adult Dependent

To remove a sponsored adult dependent partner, you must complete and submit a Life Event (Divorce or Legal Separation) through the University’s self-service portal ( within thirty-one (31) days of the event. A copy of the Affidavit of Termination of Sponsored Adult Dependent Partnership (PDF) form must also be uploaded during the Life Event process.

Reviewed 2023-10-03


Notice of Nondiscrimination

If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call UnitedHealthcare at 1-844-634-1237 for translation assistance.

Español   繁體中文   Tiếng Việt   Srpsko-hrvatski   Deutsch   العربية   Русский   한국어  
Français   Tagalog   Deitsch   فارسی   Oroomiffa   Português   አማርኛ

UnitedHealthcare’s Transparency in Coverage (exit UM System site)