Go to navigation Go to content

Total Rewards frequently asked questions

Browse FAQs or filter by topic, audience, or program.

What do the terms exempt vs. nonexempt mean?

These terms relate to the overtime provisions of the FLSA. If a job is FLSA exempt, that means it is exempt from the overtime provisions of the FLSA no matter how many hours are worked. If a job is non-exempt, it is eligible for overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 hours in the work week.

Find more information at https://umurl.us/flsa.

Link to this FAQ

What is the vacation waiver, and why did I receive a communication about it?

If you received a vacation waiver comminucation, UM System records estimate you may be impacted by changes to retiree insurance eligibility, effective January 1, 2018. If you have the desire to retire before changes take effect, the waiver may provide peace of mind if unavoidable circumstances arise and push your official retirement date into 2018.

The waiver allows you to receive a lump sum payment for unused accrued vacation that, without the waiver, would be used after December 30, 2017.

Please note, any vacation accruals paid as a lump sum will not be included in creditable service or salary in your final pension calculation.

Link to this FAQ

My coworker/friend received information about the vacation waiver. Why didn’t I?

Employees who received the vacation waiver communication are estimated to meet the following criteria:

  • Already submitted a Notice of Intent to Retire form for 2017; OR
  • Are estimated to be in Access Category B or C as of December 31, 2017;
  • Are eligible to retire in 2017; and
  • Are in a vacation-accruing position.

Link to this FAQ

When will I receive my Form W2?

All employees have the option of receiving an electronic Form W2. If an employee opts for an electronic form by December 31, that person will be able to view and print it from myHR around the middle of January. Email notification will be sent to those who consented to the electronic W2 when it is available in myHR. The University will postmark paper forms by the end of January (or early February if the end of January falls on a weekend) to employees who opt for a paper form. Please allow 10 business days for delivery. Those who opt for an electronic form will not have a paper form generated.

If you are a retiree with University life insurance in excess of $50,000, you will receive Form W2, as well.

Link to this FAQ

Can faculty with a 9-month position waive service credit and retire in December of 2017?

The waiver form is only available to employees in vacation accruing positions, and allows them the option to waive their right to associated service and salary credit in their pension calculation. This option is not available to 9-month faculty appointments.

Link to this FAQ

How could the changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) affect my job?

The U.S. Department of Labor updated the FLSA regulations related to overtime and exemptions for executive, administrative, and professional employees. Currently, workers who make less than $23,660 per year ($455/week) are considered non-exempt (hourly) from the overtime provisions of the FLSA and therefore are paid 1.5 times regular pay for overtime hours. The updated regulations increase this salary threshold from $23,660 per year to $47,476 per year ($913/week). 

Learn more and access additional FAQs on the university's FLSA webapge (https://umurl.us/flsa).

Link to this FAQ

How do I opt for an electronic Form W2?

If you have not already opted into receiving electronic W2s, the University will send you an end-of-the-year email asking if you choose to receive Form W2 electronically. Instructions for opting in or out will be included in that email. The selection to opt in or opt out must be completed before midnight, December 31. Also, at any time, you may log into myHR to change opt in/opt out status: Select the "Payroll" tile, then in the left-hand menu choose "W-2/W-2c Consent." From there, provide or remove electronic consent. The consent status on file as of December 31 will be the status used for W2 generation (electronic or paper form).

Link to this FAQ

I submitted my NOI form but wish to change my retirement plan. Why does my dept. have to approve?

It is possible your department has already begun reviewing their budget and taking steps to make staffing changes as a result of your previously submitted retirement plan. It is at the discretion of your department if a change for an already submitted retirement plan is approved.

Link to this FAQ

I submitted my NOI form, but want to sign and return the waiver. Can I?

If you have already submitted your Notice of Intent to Retire (NOI) form and do not wish to change your retirement plan (last day worked, vacation usage or retirement date), you may send your signed waiver to the UM System Office of Human Resources, where your form will be kept on file in the event that unavoidable circumstances arise causing your vacation usage plan to change.

If you have already submitted your NOI form and now wish to consider changing your retirement plan (last day worked, vacation usage or retirement date), please contact your department to discuss your options. Your department must approve of any changes to your retirement plan if the NOI form has already been submitted.

NOTE: If you change your retirement plans within 60 days of your official retirement date, your first pension payment and retiree health insurance enrollment will likely be delayed.

Link to this FAQ

I want to meet with a Retirement Specialist to discuss the waiver. When can I get an appointment?

The typical wait time for an appointment with a Retirement Specialist is approximately one to two weeks. However, if you would like to contact the Retirement Programs team, your questions may be answered by phone or email. Please reach out to us via email at retirement@umsystem.edu or by phone at 573-882-9810 or toll-free 800-488-5288.

Link to this FAQ

I’m in Access Category A, but want to complete the waiver to receive my vacation as a lump sum.

The vacation waiver option is only available for employees who are impacted by the changes to retiree health insurance eligibility (for retirements beginning January 1, 2018). As an employee in Access Category A, you are not impacted by the changes. Therefore, it is not necessary to complete the waiver form.

Link to this FAQ

If I submit a waiver and retire in 2017, when will I receive a lump sum payment for vacation?

The lump sum payment for vacation that would have extended into 2018 will be processed in January 2018, on your final active pay cycle (biweekly – 1/24/18, monthly – 1/31/18) to allow for final accrual review and confirmation. If you have questions regarding taxes on your lump sum distribution, please work with your tax advisor.

Link to this FAQ

If I submit the vacation waiver and retire in 2017, what happens to my unused sick leave?

While sick leave is not paid out upon retirement, you will receive service credit for all unused sick leave. There is no maximum amount of sick leave one can accrue. 

Link to this FAQ

Is there a deadline to return the signed waiver?

No. However, please be aware that if your retirement plans change within 60 days of your official retirement date, your first pension payment and retiree health insurance enrollment will likely be delayed.

Link to this FAQ

Will retiree insurance change for current retirees on 1/1/18?

Changes to retiree insurance eligibility and subsidies, effective in 2018, have little effect on current retirees. All current retirees, as well as their spouses and other dependents, who are enrolled in UM’s insurance plan(s) will:

  • Retain their UM insurance coverage—including medical, dental, life, and vision insurance.
  • Retain the current subsidy from UM—including subsidies for spouses and other dependents.

In other words, if you are a current retiree, the changes being communicated to active employees do not impact you. For a list of all current plans available to retirees—including dental, vision, and life—visit the retiree benefits overview on the Total Rewards website.

Link to this FAQ

How will retiree insurance change for current faculty and staff on January 1, 2018?

Under the approved changes, employees’ eligibility for retiree insurance benefits, as well as their eligibility for a UM System premium subsidy, will be different depending on their age and years of service. Visit the Changes to retiree insurance webpage for general information on eligibility, or access the resources below, which can be especially helpful in determining how you will be affected:

Link to this FAQ

What research was conducted to support the changes to retiree insurance?

The Retiree Medical Study provided the research on which the Total Rewards Advisory Committee (TRAC) made its deliberations when developing its retiree insurance recommendations, which have since been approved. For more information, access the Retiree Medical Study webpage or the Changes to retiree insurance webpage.

Link to this FAQ

I scheduled an appointment through Capital Region. Will my appointment still be honored?

Yes. Capital Region will complete appointments with current patients at the same location and during the same hours as it has been. You can access more information on the location and hours webpage.  

Link to this FAQ

I met with Capital Region, but now want to schedule with our in-house EAP team. Can I?

Yes. When scheduling your appointment through Capital Region, let your representative know you’d like to receive services with our in-house EAP team. Capital Region will work to quickly transition new and existing patients to our EAP professionals as requested by the patient.

Link to this FAQ

I recently met with a provider from Capital Region. Can I schedule with this provider again?

Capital Region will take calls and schedule appointments through the end of October. You can schedule an appointment with a Capital Region provider until that time. Our in-house EAP team and Capital Region will then work to transition patients interested in receiving continued services.  

Link to this FAQ

When deciding which Access Category I am in, does UM round my age and years of service?

Effective January 1, 2018, employee’s eligibility for the university’s retiree insurance plans will change. Eligibility will differ based on whether an employee falls into Access Category A, B, C, or D. The Access Category you are assigned to is based on whole numbers; partial years are not counted. For example, if you are age 50.5 and have 5.5 years of service, you drop the half a year on each and add 50 and 5. In this example, the calculation is 50 + 5 = 55. It’s not 50.5 + 5.5 = 56.

Link to this FAQ

Do changes to retiree insurance affect all retiree insurance benefits, or just medical plans?

The changes pertain to eligibility and subsidies for these retiree insurance plans: medical and dental. In the future, as recommended by TRAC, the university will conduct a review of retiree life insurance as well to leverage the marketplace and provide focused value to retiree needs. 

Link to this FAQ

I want to meet with an in-house EAP provider, but I can only find Capital Region contact info.

Clients will continue to call Capital Region to schedule all appointments through October 31, whether they choose to receive services from our in-house EAP team or through Capital Region. Simply indicate your interest in scheduling an appointment with the University’s EAP professionals when you call Capital Region. You can find Capital Region contact information on the location and hours webpage.

Link to this FAQ

How does an employee become eligible for UM retiree insurance right now?

Prior to 1/1/2018, or for those employees in Access Category A, an employee is eligible for retiree insurance if he/she is:

  • Eligible for retirement* and
  • Enrolled in a UM insurance plan prior to retirement

This is the structure of retiree insurance benefits and applies to any employee retiring before January 1, 2018, or any employee in Access Category A. Changes to retiree insurance take effect on January 1, 2018, and change eligibility criteria. Read about how eligibility criteria changes in 2018.

* Learn about current retirement eligibility criteria by watching the Retirement eligibility and the defined Benefit Plan on-demand online seminar.

Link to this FAQ

What holidays does the university observe?

The university observes eight official holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday following Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and other days as may be designated by the President.

When a holiday falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed. When a holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is observed.

Link to this FAQ

What tools are available to help me with my retirement decision?

If you're interested in tools that can help you decide if it is better to retire before retiree insurance benefit options change or to wait until later, the university has many resources to support you.

In summer of 2016, UM mailed personalized retirement estimates to employees who wanted to better understand their retirement options. To better understand your retirement options now, you may use UM’s Retirement Calculator to estimate what your pension payout would be if you retired at different points in time.

The decision of whether and when to retire is an individual decision and involves many factors, including pension benefits, other retirement savings, medical coverage options, and an individual’s own career and personal aspirations. UM cannot provide retirement advice, but both Fidelity and TIAA offer free, objective retirement guidance and education on every campus. Visit the Changes to retiree insurance webpage for tools and resources.

Link to this FAQ

Will participating in the Wellness Incentive affect my eligibility for university insurance plans?

No. Your participation will not affect your eligibility or rates for university insurance plans.

Link to this FAQ

If I have a sick or vacation time accrued, what happens to it when I retire?

When you retire, you will receive day-for-day service credit for accrued sick leave, and there is no cap on sick leave accruals. 

For unused accrued vacation time, you will receive service and salary credit. Unused accrued vacation time is paid out over time at retirement; there are caps on vacation accrual based on your accrual rate. 

Link to this FAQ

Who are the in-network providers for my medical insurance plan with UnitedHealthcare?

The list of in-network providers for each medical plan is available online from UnitedHealthcare's website. If you already have a myUHC.com account, log in to view your list of network providers and facilities. If you do not yet have an account, you may visit the comparison website created by UnitedHealthcare for university employees.

Link to this FAQ

Who is eligible to receive paid holidays?

All full-time administrative, service, and support employees are entitled to receive pay of eight hours (maximum) for these holidays. Regular employees who are 75-99% FTE will receive holiday pay on a prorata basis. Any administrative, service, and support employee who is exempt from classification because they primarily direct instructional or research activities is not subject to this policy.

Link to this FAQ

How are observed holidays handled if my department works 24/7 or if I work a non-standard schedule?

Any unit or department that operates 24 hours a day or seven days a week may observe the holiday on the actual day of the holiday rather than the equivalent observed Friday or Monday. If you work a non-standard schedule, you may receive equivalent time off if the holiday falls on your normal day off. If another day cannot be arranged, you will be paid for the holiday.

Link to this FAQ

What happens to my service credit if I become disabled in 2017, prior to retiree insurance changes?

The years of service credit necessary to retire and to enroll in retiree insurance will be measured the same way in 2018 as it has always been. In other words, the changes to retiree insurance have no effect on how service credit is accrued.

Under the changes to retiree insurance that go into effect on January 1, 2018, each employee is placed in an access category based on the employee’s status as of December 31, 2017, whether an employee is on Long Term Disability (LTD) or not. If an employee was vested before going on LTD, his/her service credit up to and including December 31, 2017, will be counted. If an employee is NOT vested when the LTD leave begins, he/she will not accrue service credit up to and including December 31, 2017.

Link to this FAQ

What if I am on vacation during a paid holiday?

If you are on a vacation during an official holidays, that holiday will not count against your vacation time. Hours paid for the holiday but not actually worked do not count toward overtime.

Link to this FAQ

How am I reimbursed if I am required to work on a holiday?

If you are required to work on a holiday, pay is as follows:

Nonexempt regular employees Exempt regular employees

Receive 1-1/2 times their straight-time wage rate (premium pay) for the hours worked in addition to their holiday pay. These hours will count toward the calculation of weekly overtime pay.

Receive compensatory straight time off if required by their administrative superior to work on a holiday.

Link to this FAQ

If an employee retires and returns to a benefit-eligible position, could this benefit change again?

We can't tell you absolutely that retiree insurance will never change again. But at this time, we don’t anticipate additional changes. If an employee retires and comes back to a benefit-eligible position, the person would return to their original access category they were in based on age and years of service as of Dec. 31, 2017.

Link to this FAQ

I’m in Category B with 19 years of service on 1/1/18. Can I enroll in ret. insurance after 1/1/18?

If retiring on or after 1/1/18, you must work to age 60 and attain 20 years of service to be eligible for retiree insurance. Category B employees who work to age 60 and attain 20 years of service can enroll in the university’s retiree insurance plans, regardless of what date the employee reaches those two benchmarks.

Link to this FAQ

What happens if I need to observe a special religious holiday?

Time off to observe special religious holidays may be approved by your supervisor. These hours must be taken as vacation, personal days, or treated as an excused absence without pay.

Link to this FAQ

What services and tools does UnitedHealthcare provide?

UnitedHealthcare offers many tools to help make your medical insurance coverage work for you. The myUHC Cost Estimator can help you estimate your out-of-pocket health care costs prior to seeing a doctor. Additionally, the tool allows you to compare health cost estimates at different providers so you can be sure you’re making an informed decision about what is best for you.

The Health4Me app is another resource for accessing a wealth of healthcare information in seconds. The app lets you check your account balances and benefit amounts, stores your health plan ID card, collects and tracks your current Personal Health records, and helps you view, sort, and pay claims. Additionally, you can use the app much like you use the myUHC Cost Estimator when you compare costs of common procedures. You can even connect with healthcare professionals 24/7 as well as find in-network providers and hospitals nearby in case of emergency.

Link to this FAQ

Who is the university administrator for behavioral health?

Mental health coverage for active benefit-eligible employees and their dependents is offered through United Behavioral Healthcare’s (UBH) Live and Work Well program. Use the Live and Work Well program website to access benefits, manage claims, and get information on care and services. You can also search in-network clinicians to find your best provider.

Link to this FAQ

I’ve heard I can only retire at certain times of the year; is that true?

If you are in a 9-month appointment, you may retire on 3/1 or 9/1. All others can retire on any day of the year after meeting the eligibility requirements to be a retiree.

Link to this FAQ

Under the Affordable Care Act (PPACA), who’s required to track hours, and where do they track time?

Variable hour non‐exempt employees already track worked hours and will continue to do so.

Variable hour non‐teaching exempt employees (both staff and academics that are not fully benefit eligible) should record actual worked hours using a non‐pay time reporting code in the time reporting system. Instructions on how to record hours can be found at http://www.umsystem.edu/apps/is/ps-training/upgrade9.1/PlayerFiles_HourlyTR/toc0.html. Partial hours should be rounded to the nearest half hour (i.e., 15 minutes or over round up to the next half hour and under 15 minutes round down to the previous half hour).

Variable hour teaching academic appointments quantify time worked using an equivalency of 3 1/3 hours worked for each credit hour taught. This methodology is used to determine their full-time equivalent (FTE). No action is required on the part of the individual. The FTE is entered by the department. This methodology should be applied regardless of the time period of which the class is taught (i.e., 8 weeks versus 16 weeks).

Visit the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) page for more information.

Link to this FAQ

What can vacation days be used for?

Absences from work that are not caused by an illness or injury must be taken as vacation, except for: absences due to a family death, jury duty, or leaves of absence of less than 30 days treated as excused absences. An employee may elect to charge absences due to illness or injury to their accumulated vacation with supervisory approval.

Link to this FAQ

At what rate is vacation accrued, and how much vacation can I accrue?

You may accumulate twice your annual vacation accrual. Vacation is accrued as follows:

Employee group Years of service Days per year

Office, technical, maintenance and service (includes all employees in positions designated as nonexempt and eligible for overtime pay).

5 or less 12
Over 5 17
Over 15 22

Administrative and professional (includes all employees in positions designated as exempt and not eligible for overtime pay).

5 or less 17
Over 5 22

Link to this FAQ

If spouses work for UM, what if one retires while eligible for ret. insurance and the other doesn’t?

If a spouse loses his or her eligibility for a UM benefit(s), the retiree may add the spouse as a dependent for retiree insurance benefits. Please keep in mind, the newly covered spouse is eligible only for continued coverage under the same programs he or she was enrolled in as an eligible employee. Additionally, such a change must be made within 31 days after the change in status.

Link to this FAQ

Under PPACA, am I required to track hours for jobs worked outside of the university?

No, variable-hour employees do not have to track hours worked outside of the university.

The requirement is to track hours worked for the employer. Therefore, the university only has to track the hours that a variable hour employee works at the university. But if an employee works more than one job for the university, the UM System will track hours for all of those jobs.

Visit the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) page for more information.

Link to this FAQ

When do I accrue vacation time, and when can it be used?

If you are an administrative or professional employee, you will accrue vacation on the monthly pay cycle. You must be in active status by the 15th of the month in order to receive vacation accrual for that month. If you are an office/technical worker or service/maintenance employee, you will accrue vacation on the biweekly pay cycle.

Vacation time must be earned before it is taken, and though you may be accruing vacation throughout the month, it will not be available for use until the first day of the following pay period.

Link to this FAQ

Who is eligible for paid vacation?

All regular administrative, service, and support staff who have prior supervisory approval are eligible to receive paid vacation. Regular employees who are 75-99% FTE will accrue vacation on a prorata basis. Employees with primary titles that are administrative, service, and support who are exempt from classification because their positions are primarily directing instructional or research activities are not subject to this policy.

If you are a probationary employee, you may accrue vacation time. However, you cannot use this leave until your probationary period has been satisfied.

Link to this FAQ

What if I run out of vacation time?

If you exhaust your vacation time, you may take vacation without pay if you receive prior supervisory approval.

Link to this FAQ

Does the Affordable Care Act (PPACA) teaching equivalency apply to all types of courses?

Yes. This equivalency (3 1/3 hours worked per credit hour taught) will be used for classroom credit courses, online courses, and courses taught by Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs).

Visit the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) page for more information.

Link to this FAQ