Skip to main content

May I drop university-sponsored coverage and enroll in a Medigap policy at any time?

A retiree or dependent can disenroll from a university-sponsored UHC Group Medicare Advantage plan by contacting the university at any time during the year. This disenrollment will trigger the member to go back to Original Medicare, and they can enroll in a Medigap (Medicare Supplement) plan outside of the university as a secondary coverage. They will also need to enroll in a Part D Prescription Drug Plan separate from the university to avoid paying a penalty. It is important to note that once a retiree or covered dependent chooses to dis-enroll from their university medical coverage, they cannot enroll at a later time. If a retiree chooses to drop or opt-out of university medical coverage, their covered dependent(s) will be also be dis-enrolled at that time.

Reviewed 2019-10-17