Long Term Disability insurance
The university's Long Term Disability Plan is available to benefit-eligible faculty and staff in the University of Missouri System to provide replacement income due to disability. It is not available to retirees. Certain benefit-eligible employees are eligible for the completely voluntary, employee-paid supplemental individual disability insurance described at the bottom of this webpage.
Looking for plan providers or health care providers?
Visit our plan contacts page for more information.
$0.20 per $100 of monthly income up to $12,500 per month
- Evidence of insurability required for the Buy-up Plan.
- If you enroll in the Buy-up Plan after-tax, the portion of the benefit that you pay for is not taxable.
- 2017 Long Term Disability Summary Plan Description (SPD)
- 2017 Benefits Enrollment Form - For active faculty and staff who are newly eligible for benefits (e.g., newly hired or newly promoted to a benefit-eligible job)
- 2017 Benefits Change Form - For active faculty and staff who have a family status change for the 2017 calendar year.
- Long Term Disability waive coverage form
- Statement of Health Form - Evidence of Insurability - Long Term Disability - MetLife form needed to increase coverage to Option B
- Proof of Relationship Requirement form
- Your Guide to MetLife Absence Reporting, from MetLife
- Full list of forms and guides about disability insurance …
The LTD plans offered above allows you to cover up to 66.6% of your eligible earnings, up to a monthly maximum of a $8,333 benefit. Supplemental Individual Disability Insurance (IDI) is a plan offered to eligible faculty and staff. If you are eligible, you are contacted separately whenever the option to enroll arises. Supplemental IDI can help replace more of your income--up to 75%--if you have a covered disabling illness or injury. This is a completely voluntary program.
- Eligibility: Benefit-eligible faculty and staff earning $150,000 or more total income, who financially qualify for a minimum benefit of $300.
- Costs: All plan premiums are paid by the employee. Premiums are paid through after-tax payroll deductions.
Some of the other features of the Supplemental IDI benefit:
- Catastrophic coverage, which can replace 100% of your pre-disability earnings in the event of a more severe disability.
- A 25% discount on premiums, which are guaranteed not to increase before age 65.
- Choice of maximum benefit or a reduced benefit.
- The ability to keep your policy with the same rate and benefits if you leave the university in the future.
* In the event of a difference between this webpage and the plan document or summary plan description, the plan document and plan description prevail.
Reviewed April 20, 2017.