Skip to main content

Why does having medical insurance require the SSN / TIN of my dependents?

The IRS requires that certain employers, including UM, that are classified as “applicable large employers” (ALEs) provide evidence of every person (employee, spouse, and other dependents) offered medical insurance. UM must provide the Social Security number or another tax identification number for each person.

Reviewed 2017-05-23