Skip to main content

What info is needed to enroll in one of the Medicare Advantage plans?

There is certain information you must provide and actions you must take before you can be enrolled in the university-sponsored Medicare Advantage plans. Although sponsored by the university, your enrollment must be approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) – the federal agency responsible for the administration of Medicare Advantage plans – before coverage becomes effective. CMS will approve enrollment into a Medicare Advantage plan if an individual:

  • Is enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B,
  • Provides a Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI)/Medicare Claim Number,
  • Has a permanent U.S. street address (no P.O. Box) on file, and
  • Is not within the 30-month coordination period for end-stage renal disease.

Reviewed 2019-10-17