Salary and wage payments at times other than normal payroll check release dates are discouraged. In the event that a special payment (off-cycle payment) is issued, there will be a charge to cover administrative costs unless the failure to issue a check was through no fault of the employee or the department processing the required paperwork.
HR Policy Provisions
- Definition of “Off-Cycle Payment” – A salary and wage payment that is processed at times other than the normal payroll release dates.
- Requests for payroll off-cycle payments will be assessed as a campus administrative fee.
- The processing of such payments is costly to the University; thus, the fee is intended to cover those costs and to motivate departments to significantly reduce the volume of such requests.
- The fee should not be passed on to the employee.
- The fee applies to all sources of funding and departments.
- The Campus HR/Payroll office may create an off-cycle payment if the failure to process the payment is:
- not due to the fault of the employee or the department processing the required paperwork,
- related to a computer system error, or
- if an employee is discharged for cause and should receive payment for salary and wages on the last day of employment.
- Procedure Information
- If a department determines that it is necessary to make the payment through an off-cycle payment, a request for off-cycle payment may be submitted to Campus HR/Payroll.
- A request for off-cycle payments must be supported by approved documents based on the delegation of authority.
- Upon approval, a processing fee will be assessed to the department.
- Payment for any salary or wages before the work is performed is not permitted.
Date Created: 09/26/1997
Updated: 07/21/1998; 04/07/2017; 07/15/2020