UM Procurement facilitates the process required for departments to acquire goods and services which:
- Meet user defined needs
- Are obtained in a manner that assures best value
- Take into consideration total cost of acquisition and total cost of ownership
- Require minimal use of University resources
- Are obtained through a process that is fair, open and competitive
- Assure all University's ethical, legal and fiduciary responsibilities are satisfied
UM Procurement provides services that are both strategic and tactical -
- Strategic Consulting for the purpose of helping plan for large purchasing events that minimize duplicative efforts and assure the university best value
- Negotiation planning support and leadership in conducting Procurement activities
- Facilitation of Request for Proposal and Bid events
- Timely processing of routine requisitions and purchase orders
- Customer support for issues related to suppliers or process challenges
The University uses various methods to acquire goods and services. Requestors should use the following decision process in determining which purchasing method is best suited for a specific procurement need. Good faith effort must be given to using the most efficient purchasing method available for a given purchasing event. Please reference the Payment Method for Expenditures - Quick Reference Guide for a summary list of various items/services and the appropriate procurement method to utilize for each.
- Show-Me Shop (SMS) is the preferred method for purchases made by campus departments. SMS is an online catalog of items from contracted suppliers. SMS suppliers currently include commodities such as scientific products, office products, computers, peripherals, lab supplies, MRO/facilities maintenance supplies, custodial supplies, and books. SMS purchases may be made for any amount. Information on suppliers available in the SMS and their contact information is available online at https://umsystem.edu/ums/fa/procurement/epro/suppliers
Campus users are to use SMS as the first choice to meet their needs. Purchases for items available in SMS should be made through SMS unless there is a compelling reason for using another method.
- One Card - For items not available in Show-Me Shop that are $5,000 or less, the preferred method of making the purchase is with a university issued credit card. Purchases must comply with the University of Missouri One Card Policy Manual and ALL other University policies.
- Purchase Orders - Purchases that cannot be made in Show-Me Shop, that cannot be processed by using a University One Card and that exceed $5,000 must be submitted using the PeopleSoft requisitioning system.
- Bookstore Purchases - Purchases must comply with the Business Policy Manual.
- Less than $5,000 - Bids are not required. Show-Me Shop is the first option for these purchases and if not available in SMS then One Card is the preferred method of payment for items except as limited by the purchasing card program.
- Between $5,000 and $10,000 - These orders can be placed using Show-Me Shop if the goods needed are available there, if not a purchase order will be processed upon receipt of PeopleSoft requisition.
- Exceeds $10,000 - Competitive Bids or Proposals are required unless items/services is already on contract with the University. If the product needed is not available through Show-Me Shop then the campus department must enter a requisition to initiate the purchase process. Purchases exceeding $25,000 require formal bidding processes.
The University of Missouri has a desire to support small and medium sized Missouri based businesses whenever possible. In competitive bidding and in instances in which competitive bids are not required, preference shall be given to Missouri products, materials, services and firms when the goods or services are of equal or better overall value. In assessing overall value, consideration will be given to the extent to which proximity or Missouri preference of the supplier provides potential advantages or reduction of risks.