In order for individuals to be employed by the University, they must present certain documents that establish their identify, verify their eligibility to work in the United States, and make provisions for appropriate tax withholding.
HR Policy Provisions
- Requested Forms
Individuals must complete the following in order to be employed:
Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (Federal) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- MO W-4
Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (State) Missouri Department of Revenue
- In order to complete the federal & state W-4 forms, individuals must have a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), or evidence that they have made application for an SSN. The Human Resource Services/Payroll office will not process the initial PAF until the individual has properly completed both federal and state W-4 forms and submitted them to the Payroll department.
- Nonresident alien employees who are work-eligible, but who do not have a social security number and are unable to apply for one until a date specified by the local Social Security Office, are exempted from these requirements at the time of hire. Nonresident alien employees must promptly apply for a Social Security card and show it to the HR/Payroll Office on their campus immediately after its receipt. Nonresident employees may be hired, work, and be paid without a Social Security number as long as their authorization for employment is valid according to the I-9 information provided below.
Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Federal) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Individuals must establish both identity and work eligibility via the federal I-9 form, by presenting one or two acceptable documents. A list of acceptable documents is printed on the back of the I-9 form.
- Departments may not place individuals on payroll-and may not allow individuals to perform work-until the individual has presented such documentation.
- Employees must complete Section I of the I-9 no later than the first day of employment. Allowing an individual to work more than three (3) business days without having presented proper documentation may subject the hiring department to significant federal fines.
Personal Data Form – for statistical reporting purposes (University of Missouri System)
- Appointment Notification Form
Required for all new hires, rehires and certain employee transfers; student employees are excluded.
- Direct Deposit
Employee payroll funds will be deposited directly to a bank or other financial institution specified by the employee. See HR-224 for more details.
- Pay Deferral Election form
Eligible employees (i.e., 9-month faculty and students with graduate assistantships) may elect to defer compensation by making a deferral election. See HR-219 for more information including deadlines.
Updated: 04/27/1998; 07/01/2000; 01/01/2002; 09/01/2006;09/01/2013; 07/21/2020