Student Purchasing Card Policy Manual
This is a supplement to the University of Missouri Mastercard Purchasing Card Program Purchasing Card Policy Manual.
- Student Purchasing Card Application, Agreement & Instruction (PDF 24KB)
- Purchasing Card Change Form (Outlook Form)
- Purchasing Card Cancellation Form (Outlook Form)
- Purchasing Card Check-Out Log (PDF 10 KB)
1. Program Overview
The Student Purchasing Card is designed to provide a more efficient means of allowing students in selected departments to make small dollar in-store university purchases. The information and policies in this supplement are in addition to, not in replacement of, the information and policies in The University of Missouri Purchasing Card Policy Manual. All policies and requirements as stated in The University of Missouri Purchasing Card Policy Manual apply to the student purchasing card program unless specifically stated otherwise.
Student Purchasing Cards are MasterCard purchasing cards issued to a campus department instead of and individual. Student Purchasing Cards may be used only by STUDENTS. Faculty / staff needing to make university purchases should be issued an individual purchasing card.
The Student Purchasing Card will be managed by, and checked out through a designated individual within the department that will be responsible for monitoring its use as well as maintaining its security. It will be important that each student using the card understands and agrees to the policies and procedures of card use. Each student should know what items are considered inappropriate purchase items and should be aware of and communicate to the merchant the tax exemption status of the University. Each student must retain each receipt and return both the card and the receipt to the card manager immediately following the required purchase.
Participation is limited to departments where a large number of small dollar university purchases are made by a large variety of students. Each department requesting Student Purchasing Cards must submit in writing an explanation of why a Student Purchasing Card is needed and how the cards will be used by the requesting department. Procurement Operations reserves the right to approve or reject any or all requests for Student Purchasing Cards.
- The Student Purchasing Card will be in the name of the campus department responsible for the card (requesting department).
- The Student Purchasing Card Application Form, including the Student Purchasing Card Agreement, must be completed, approved, and returned to Procurement Operations before the card is ordered.
- The requesting campus department must participate in training before a card is issued.
- Cards will be sent via Campus Mail to the card's Approving Official.
- The back of each Student Purchasing Card is to be marked "REQUEST UNIVERSITY STUDENT ID".
- Multiple Student Purchasing Cards may be issued to a campus department, based upon the department's needs.
- The Purchasing Card Change/Cancellation Form must be used when requesting a card to be changed or canceled.
2. Student Purchasing Card Controls
Each department should establish internal controls sufficient to regulate the Student Purchasing Card activities within that department. The responsibility for the appropriate use of the card lies with the student signing out the card, the Approving Official responsible for the card, and the department Administrative Head.
- Ensure that all students using a Student Purchasing Card and all employees' delegated responsibilities under the Student Purchasing Card Program meet all program requirements.
- Ensure the Cardholder Statement of Account is reviewed and signed by any combination of two of the following: Approving Official, Department Head, and Delegated Individual. All purchases must be reviewed by a minimum of two individuals to provide the required separation of duty for auditing purposes.
- Secure each Student Purchasing Card when it is not in use.
- Make students aware of policies and procedures, including prohibited purchases and purchases requiring additional documentation.
- Verify purchases made, follow the purchasing card and Student Purchasing Card policies.
- Submit Statement of Account Report as required for the purchasing card.
- Review the list of prohibited purchases and purchases requiring special documentation.
- Follow all instructions / policies of the Student Purchasing Card and the campus department responsible for the card.
- Ensure the physical security of the purchasing card and protect the account number.
- Make only purchase(s) authorized when card is checked out by campus department. NO PERSONAL PURCHASES ALLOWED.
- Immediately report lost or stolen cards to JPMorgan, the campus department responsible for the card, and Procurement Operations.
- Return the Student Purchasing Card at the appointed time and place.
- Provide required documentation for each purchase.
- Abuse or misuse of a Student Purchasing Card requires immediate repayment and will result in the matter being turned over to the campus student judicial officer.
The maximum single purchase limit shall not exceed $500 per transaction and the monthly maximum limit is $5,000. Higher limits may be requested if a business need exists. Any requests for higher limits must be submitted in writing for approval by Procurement Operations. Each department is responsible for setting the single purchase limit and monthly transaction limit commensurate with the students' needs.
Student Purchasing Cards may not be given transportation services privileges.
Annually, Procurement Operations will provide each department with a Purchasing Card Utilization Report. The report will provide, by department, each cardholder's name or card name, card limits and previous calendar year transaction history. The purpose of the report is for departments to manage their purchasing card / student purchasing card program including, for example verifying that card information is correct, ensuring that card limits are appropriate relative to card activity, and canceling any inactive or unneeded cards. Departments must respond to Procurement within 30 days of receiving the report, verifying that all cards are needed and limits are set appropriately. Card cancellations and change requests are to be made using the Purchasing Card Change/Cancellation Form. Departments not responding to Procurement Operations will have cards temporarily suspended until verifications have been made. Annually, Procurement Operations will analyze card activity to determine that spending limits are consistent with usage. Where exceptions are noted, Procurement Operations will work with the Departments to set appropriate limits.
The University Student Purchasing Card should always be protected. The card should be kept in a secure location. Only students authorized by the department responsible for the card may make purchases using the Student Purchasing Card. Under no circumstances may the Student Purchasing Card be used for personal purchases or by someone not authorized by the department responsible for the card.
If a card is lost, stolen, or misused, the campus department may be responsible for payment of all charges made on the lost, stolen, or misused card.
Student Purchasing Cards have dispute rights which allow the campus department to submit information to the issuing bank when discrepancies in billing occur. If the bank can resolve the disputed transaction, the campus department may not be held responsible for payment of the disputed charges. If the merchant reputes the dispute, the campus department is responsible for payment.
The back of each Student Purchasing Card is to be marked "REQUEST UNIVERSITY STUDENT ID". Each student making a purchase with a Student Purchasing Card must show their University issued student id card and must sign the receipt with his/her name.
Finance Support Center
- Finance Support Center
- Finance Support email
- Hospital and Clinics: 884-1234
- Missouri S&T Campus: 341-4266 or 877-752-1117 (after hrs)
- UMKC Campus: 235-1371
- UMSL Campus: 516-5366
- UMSYS, UOEXT, MU Campuses: 882-3201
- Toll Free All Campuses: 877-752-3334
- Finance Support Center may be unavailable Mondays from 2:30-3:30pm for staff meeting.