Skip to main content

Dependent eligibility verification FAQs

The dependent eligibility verification window has now closed. What follows is archival information for your reference.





Getting additional help


Who qualifies as an eligible dependent?

Under the university Employee Group Health Plan, an “eligible dependent” is defined as:

  • Your spouse.
  • Your child (through the end of the month that child reaches 26 years of age). “Child” can be understood to include:
    • Your natural/biological child.
    • Your stepchild.
      • Please note, the child of an employee’s Sponsored Adult Dependent partner is not a stepchild.
    • Your foster child.
    • Your legally adopted child, or a child that has been placed for adoption.
  • Your child who is recognized under a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) or National Medical Support Notice (NMSN), as defined by ERISA § 609 (a), as having a right to enrollment under your plan. When a court recognizes a child as a QMCSO-child, that child will be considered your eligible dependent.
  • Your child (over the age of 26) who meets the following specifications:
    • An unmarried child who is mentally or physically incapable of self-sustaining employment prior to reaching the maximum age (26 years old), and who is dependent on the employee or the employee’s spouse for principal financial support, and has the same principal abode as the employee.
      • Please note, disabled dependent children who were not covered under an employee’s plan upon attainment of age 26 are not eligible for coverage.
      • Additionally, disabled dependent children who are dropped from coverage after age 26 may not re-enroll in the future.
  • Your Sponsored Adult Dependent partner, so long as you (the employee) do not have a spouse, who meets all of the following criteria:
    • Has had the same principal residence as the employee for at least 12 months, and continues to have the same principal residence as the employee disregarding temporary absences due to special circumstances including sickness, education, business, vacation, or military service;
    • Is 18 years of age or older;
    • Is not currently married to another person under either statutory or common law; and
    • Is not related to the employee by blood or degree of closeness that would prohibit marriage in the law of the state in which the employee resides.

To be eligible for coverage under the plan, a dependent must reside within the United States.

Can I add or remove a dependent who is currently eligible for coverage under the university health plan?

No. The purpose of this project is to remove only ineligible dependents. Adding or removing dependents from coverage is allowed only during the annual enrollment period, or within 31 days of certain “life events” which change your status.

What should I do if I realize I'm covering an ineligible dependent?

Complete the verification form(s) online or by paper by selecting the voluntary removal option. Submit form(s) back to Conduent HR Services no later than March 31, 2017. Conduent will notify you that your ineligible dependent will be removed from coverage.

Will I be penalized if my spouse and/or dependent child(ren) is ineligible?

We know that it is rarely intentional to cover an ineligible dependent, so we will not penalize you, or seek disciplinary action or repayment of claims if you remove an ineligible dependent during this project.

If I discover a dependent is ineligible for coverage, what other options do I have for covering that individual?

If an individual you were previously covering is no longer eligible for coverage, they may be eligible for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Visit to learn more, or to obtain an online application.


Who is conducting the verification process?

Conduent HR Services (Conduent, formerly Xerox HR Services) is conducting the verification process.

How do I complete the verification process

You will receive a verification packet from Conduent in the mail in February of 2017. You should then complete the packet and submit it, along with your required documentation, back to Conduent. The materials can be completed and submitted online (recommended); submitting documents online will allow you to track your progress during the verification process. Materials can also be submitted by mail or email. Refer to your verification packet for the appropriate web address for completing the process online.

What happens if I do not complete the verification process, or only submit some of the documents required?

If you complete the verification process after the deadline, or fail to submit some or all documentation necessary for verification, your dependent(s) will be considered ineligible under your plan and will be removed from coverage. After removal, you will have the option to appeal the decision by providing Conduent with appropriate eligibility documentation.

I was just hired. Do I still need to complete the process?

If you were hired on or after January 17, 2017, you will not be required to complete the process, as you will verify the eligibility of your dependents as you enroll in your medical, dental, or vision insurance plan. All employees covering dependents on their university-sponsored insurance plans who are hired prior to January 17, 2017, are required to completed the process.

Will I have to complete proof of eligibility every year?

No. Faculty and staff will not be required to provide proof of dependent eligibility every year.

What happens after I submit my verification documentation?

After you submit your forms and verification documentation, you’ll have the opportunity to check in on your dependents’ eligibility determination. If you submit your response via mail or email, Conduent will send you a written notice confirming the outcome of each dependent’s eligibility status within approximately two weeks. If you submit your response online, Conduent will post each dependent’s eligibility status within five days.


What documentation will I need to complete the process?

Depending on your relationship(s) to your dependent(s), you’ll need different types of documents to verify their eligibility. Access our dependent eligibility webpage for specific information on the types of documents you will need.

Why are the documents required by Conduent different than those I provided to the UM System when I first began covering my dependents?

The complexity of verification has increased over the past few years, so to protect your data and verify dependents, we now ask for more information. All faculty and staff hired going forward will be required to submit similar documentation.

What is required on a valid state-issued marriage certificate?

A valid, state-issued marriage certificate is received after the date of the ceremony and shows the following information:

  • A state-issued recorded or file date; this may appear as either a book no., register no., state file no., county no., certified and sealed date stamped, recorded, or microfilmed date stamped;
  • An official signature of a judge, deputy clerk, or recorder;
  • The employee’s name, spouse’s name, and marriage date. 

What is Proof of Joint Ownership?

Proof of Joint Ownership is a validation of the current status of your relationship with your spouse or Sponsored Adult Dependent. Valid forms must show all of the following information:

  • Your name and the name of your spouse/Sponsored Adult Dependent.
  • The address you have on file with the University of Missouri System
    • Please review your address in myHR (self service > personal information) to ensure it is up-to-date.
  • A date on or after the date on the verification form.

Valid document types include the following:

  • Your joint mortgage statement.
  • Your joint banking statement (financial and account information should be marked-out).
  • Your current lease agreement, including both signatures and the lessor/landlord signature(s).
  • Utility bills.
  • Please note, documents must be dated on or after the date on your verification packet.

What if my documents are from the state of Idaho or Wisconsin?

If your dependent was born in the state of Idaho or Wisconsin, or you were married in the state of Idaho or Wisconsin, you are required to submit a certified copy of the vital record.

How can I obtain lost documents required to prove my dependent's eligibility status?

You may contact the government office in the county or state in which the event took place (i.e., birth, marriage, etc.). Most offices will mail a replacement document within five business days for a nominal fee. For a more immediate response, you may visit the county or state office to obtain the document the same day. Please make sure you know what information you will need to present in order to obtain the document prior to visiting the county or state office. You may also obtain documents online by visiting This website is used by every U.S. state to process vital record requests and also has links to sites where you can request vital records from foreign countries or for American citizens born abroad. The average turnaround time for requests is three days, and requested documents are marked with the clerk of courts seal.


How will my personal information be used and who will have access to it?

Conduent is the only entity that will have access to your personal information, and it will only be used to verify the eligibility of your dependent(s). Any documents you submit will be treated as private and confidential under penalty of law. In addition, Conduent has put administrative, physical, and technological safeguards in place to ensure the confidentiality of your personal information. Once the process is complete, Conduent will securely destroy all paper documents.

Getting additional help

Who should I contact if I have additional questions?

If you have any questions regarding the dependent eligibility verification process, please contact Conduent HR Services at 1-877-905-3326, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (CST).

Please note, as Conduent is the administrator for dependent eligibility verification, the HR Service Center will be unable to answer questions regarding where you are in the verification process. So you can easily track your progress, we recommend completing the verification process online. Additionally, the HR Service Center cannot provide faculty or staff dependent verification documentation to Conduent on behalf of the employee, nor can it provide these documents to the employee.

In the case of any discrepancy between this webpage and the official plan documents, the official plan documents always govern.

Return to the dependent eligibility verification webpage.

Reviewed 2019-08-23


Notice of Nondiscrimination

If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call UnitedHealthcare at 1-844-634-1237 for translation assistance.

Español   繁體中文   Tiếng Việt   Srpsko-hrvatski   Deutsch   العربية   Русский   한국어  
Français   Tagalog   Deitsch   فارسی   Oroomiffa   Português   አማርኛ

UnitedHealthcare’s Transparency in Coverage (exit UM System site)