Skip to main content

End-of-year tax documents

The University of Missouri System (UM System) sends out a number of tax-related letters and emails in preparation for each tax season. The following list explains what you may expect and what each item means.


The W-2 form indicates the amount of wages paid and taxes withheld from your paychecks. Generally speaking, the following groups of people receive a W2 from UM: full-time and part-time employees; retirees who separated from the UM System during the tax year; employees terminated during the tax year; employees who went on Long Term Disability during the tax year; and employees who became COBRA participants during the tax year.

If you haven’t already opted for an electronic W-2, you will receive an end-of-the-year email asking you to indicate whether you want a paper or electronic form. If you elect to receive an electronic version, you are able to view and/or print it from myHR around the middle of January. Otherwise, a paper form is postmarked to your home address by the end of January/early February.

Visit the FAQ: How do I opt for an electronic Form W2?

If you live outside Missouri and work in Missouri, or if you live in Missouri but work outside Missouri, you may receive a W-2 for Federal and State reporting and a second one with only the other state reporting information.


The 1095-C is titled “Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage.” The form was introduced in 2015. You receive the form from any employer required to offer health insurance coverage to you, your spouse, and/or other dependents for all or a portion of the tax year, whether you enrolled in the employer’s coverage or not.  

Generally speaking, if you were eligible for University insurance during all or a portion of the tax year, the UM System sends Form 1095-C to you. It is important that you share it with any listed covered dependents who are filing a tax return separately from you. Box 15 of the form will indicate the monthly premium for the least costly insurance plan offered by UM, whether you chose that plan or not, so this amount may not match the actual premium amount deducted from your paycheck.

You may not need to wait until Form 1095-C arrives to complete your taxes. UM cannot provide tax advice. To learn more, we recommend you consult a tax advisor or read the IRS' FAQs about this form and whether it is necessary to wait.

More information about Form 1095-C is available from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) ( Or, access FAQs about Form 1095-C on the FAQ web app.

Social Security number / tax identification number for dependents

If records indicate that the UM System is missing a Social Security number or other tax identification number for some or all of your dependents, you will receive a notice(s) asking for this information. The IRS requires certain employers, including UM, to report the identification numbers for all employees and dependents who were offered health insurance.

Visit the FAQ: Why does having medical insurance require the SSN / TIN of my dependents?


The 1099-R form reports distributions from pensions, annuities and other retirement plans, and is used when completing your income tax return(s). By late January/early February, the UM System sends Form 1099-R to your home address if you have received UM pension payments or other distributions during the tax year.

You may access FAQs about Form 1099-R on the FAQ web app.

Statement of Tax Responsibility

If you are a retiree who is receiving a pension and living outside the state of Missouri, you may have already received a letter from the University reminding you that you have the option to discontinue Missouri tax withholdings from your pension payments. You will need to complete the UM System's Statement of Tax Responsibility form to discontinue Missouri withholdings. If you did not receive this form in the mail but are interested in completing it, the Statement of Tax Responsibility is available for download on the Payroll - Employee/Retiree Information webpage (

United Way

If you chose to have United Way donations deducted from your paycheck for all or a portion of the tax year, the UM System will send you an email by the end of January/early February with the total amount you donated for the year.


  • Please allow 10 business days to receive any documents mailed to you via the U.S. Postal Service.
  • The University cannot provide tax advice. As you prepare your income tax return(s), we encourage you to discuss your personal tax situation with a tax advisor.

Reviewed 2024-02-05


Notice of Nondiscrimination

If you speak another language, assistance services, free of charge, are available to you. Call UnitedHealthcare at 1-844-634-1237 for translation assistance.

Español   繁體中文   Tiếng Việt   Srpsko-hrvatski   Deutsch   العربية   Русский   한국어  
Français   Tagalog   Deitsch   فارسی   Oroomiffa   Português   አማርኛ

UnitedHealthcare’s Transparency in Coverage (exit UM System site)